Sunday, February 1, 2009

Alison Shower Invitation Update 1

Through blog and e-mail feedback, the consensus was that the flowers looked best when monochromatic (big word!) or when both sets of petals were one color, with a different colored center - like this one:


I sat down and started the physical production of all of these invitations. After looking back at my notes I realized that I only needed 36 - so I'm making a total of 40 (plus one for my files.) Although all of the cutting was kind of a pain in my ass (believe it or not I do not own a paper cutter - I measure and cut EVERYTHING by hand! Side note to friends and family: a paper cutter would make a great Christmas gift next year...) these were so simple to put together, and can serve as a basic template for many types of invitations. You can replace the flower with ribbon, a sticker, or any kind of embellishment you want. You could also use decorative scissors and punches to further embellish the edges and borders.

I did these invitations to fit an A7 size envelope. I cut three rectangles out of different colors of cardstock which each measured 5 x 7 inches, 4.5 x 6.5 inches, and 4 x 6 inches. The cardstocks I chose for the two backing pieces had some texture, and a little bit of shimmer:


I then used ink-pads and a stamp for the details. As you may know by now, I hate my handwriting - and use stamps like these whenever possible. I'm passing these invitations on to another one of Alison's bridesmaids once complete so that SHE may hand-write in the details!




For the flowers, I used embellishment fabric flowers from the craft store, and a color-coordinating brads (glorified paper fasteners!) for the centers. I used a tiny hole punch through the center of the petals and cardstock layers to place the brad into:


Super easy, right?! One down... 40 to go. More to come soon...

No comments: