Friday, January 22, 2010

Craft Studio Update 3

Joining us for the first time?  I'm making-over my craft studio space!  Head here to get caught up!

Welcome to the madness that is the making-over of my crafty-space.  Phew!  (I apologize in advance for the poor quality photos today -- it was getting late as I was working through the mess and natural light was long gone!)

What a project this is turning out to be!  Today I called in the reinforcements and had one of my closest friends Heather and her pre-teen daughter Mariah come over to help.  Heather went through an organized all things yarn and fabric while Mariah was patient enough to sort through, re-spool and pin ALL of my ribbon.  What troopers!  I appreciated it so much!


I found a home for all of the jars of markers today.  You remember that my yucky vinyl-sided walls can't handle much weight, so shelving isn't much of an option.  I put them up on the window ledge where they will be easy to see and access.





I moved some shelving into the closet.  And boy, is that closet jam packed!  I like it though - because I am really, really, REALLY trying to keep the actual room as free of "stuff" as possible.  As long as I can see and access everything in the closet, I'm fine with it being full!

That being said, the large tubs on the left may end up coming out of the closet eventually and just stack in a corner of the room if they are too hard to pull out when I need them.  We'll see...



After the closet was complete, I went ahead and cleared out the rest of the room...





 

Painting is obviously the next big thing on the agenda, but I'm a really visual person and needed to get a feel for how I was going to set up the space, so I brought in some of the major "furniture" elements to see how they will work... (you can see I still need to take some major chemicals to that table to get it clean... I'll get to it I swear!)

 

The small sewing table will go next to the ironing board with my machine and basic notions.  The table will fold down so that when I teach classes and workshops, I can put away the sewing stuff (in the overflowing closet?!) and add the table to the end of my long work table to create seating space for 10.

The darkness and angle of these photos make the room look teeny tiny, and it's not large by any means, but there's enough room to walk all the way around the table and that's what I'm looking for.



Not bad, eh?  I feel like I've made some significant progress.  This weekend is going to be a busy one for us... but I'm really hoping I can find time to paint the room.  Only question is... what color?  I'm thinking yellow, a coral-ish color, or a light pink.  What do you think?  Leave me color suggestions in the comments!

Oh, and while everything in craft studio is looking wonderful... I can barely bring myself to show you...







(wait for it)







THIS!!!

 

Argh!  The craft studio contents have spilled into the rest of the basement!  But no fear, I'm staying strong, and I will conquer the rest of this junk!  Have faith!

Stay tuned for another craft studio update next Friday... could I possibly finish it by then?  Wish me luck!!!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Looks awesome so far! I've done the same thing with my markers and it is so much easier to find everything when they are in glass jars.

Meg@MegaCrafty said...

Markers in the jars- best thing I did, they are so easy to grab.

I love how this is coming along- I think it probably feels/looks worse to you than it does to someone else. All is see is an amazing amount of progress.

I like yellow- it would be bright and sunny!

LollyChops said...

It looks fantastic! You are doing a great job!!!

I think light teal or real pale yellow.

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

Now I can't wait to see the finished room.:) Your closet looks great! Stopping by from SITS.

M.E. Greene said...

*chuckle* You know, I think all of us creative people can relate to the way that craftiness tends to take over an entire house! Good job on your AMAZING progress. Can't wait to see the fabulous transformations as they continue. :)

French Picnic said...

French Picnic LOVES your inspiration to get more organized. We could all use a little bit more of that!

glenna said...

OK...I'm not sure if I feel more inspired or guilty. Either way...I need to clean up my sewing area soon!

AVinNYC said...

WOWZAS- its looking great! Can't wait to see the final product!

Val in the Rose Garden said...

I just love jars and baskets filled with art supplies. It warms my heart! I can see that you still have tons of work to do, but wow mama! Your space is gonna look GREAT!

Val